Does anyone run VNC with 64-bit FreeBSD (amd64)?

Jonathan Fosburgh syjef at mdanderson.org
Thu Jun 22 16:29:30 UTC 2006

On Thursday 22 June 2006 02:52, Greg Lane wrote:
> G'day everyone,
>
> I recently had to replace a disk and took the opportunity to
> upgrade from 5-stable to 6-stable.  I also changed from the
> 32-bit to the 64-bit version.  I have a dual Opteron server.
>
> VNC installed from ports (4.2.1) doesn't work on the 64-bit machine.
> The same version installed on my home machine (32-bit) with the .vnc
> directory copied over exactly from my work 64-bit machine runs fine.
> So in what sense does it fail....
>
> If I create a blank .vnc/xstartup, then I get the usual grey screen.
> Then if I try and run X commands on that display, some work, like
> xsetroot -solid blue, but others, xterm, icewm, twm, etc don't.
VNC (tightvnc included) as well as NXWindows (IMHO, much better than VNC) are
based on old versions of XFree86 that don't support AMD64.  I have had some
success running the i386 package of tightvnc and starting only twm from the
xstartup script.  Some applications (just about anything using gtk) crash the
VNC server, and some (KDE) work all right. YMMV.

I have tried to make NXWindows work on amd64 but there is just too much
patching that needs to be done for my meager skills.

--
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator