amd64/97184: Error compiling 6.1 zlib module (kernel) on 5.4 AMD64 Machine

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Fri Jun 9 22:48:05 UTC 2006

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006, Pav Lucistnik wrote:

> Matteo Riondato pí¹e v pá 02. 06. 2006 v 13:33 +0000:
>> Synopsis: Error compiling 6.1 zlib module (kernel) on 5.4 AMD64 Machine
>>
>> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
>> State-Changed-By: matteo
>> State-Changed-When: Fri Jun 2 13:29:31 UTC 2006
>> State-Changed-Why:
>> You should not use custom CFLAGS other than -O2 -pipe. What is more, "make -j4 " is not supported . Thanks.
>
> Why is -j4 not supported?

Because we (as in the Project) have not validated that all of the code
compiles correctly in high-parallelism situations. We frequently find
areas that do not have proper ordering set and you get odd compile errors.
As machines get faster, we find more races.

In general, compilation with non-standard CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS is not
supported. If it doesn't work, remove the options from your make.conf and
re-attempt your build. The code should build with the default CFLAGS and
no -j set.

If you can identify and provide a patch for areas that don't work properly
at -j, we'll happily accept them, but if you have problems, you're on your
own. We can't possibly test every possible permutation of CFLAGS and -j;
we don't have the resources.