NVidia RAID on Tyan-S2865

Toll, Eric eric at vipstructures.com
Fri Jun 9 12:45:39 UTC 2006

> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:57:57AM -0400, Toll, Eric wrote:
> > If you going to mess around with RAID please just get a
> real RAID card
> > like 3Ware.
> I know about 3Ware :-) Moreover I use these cards 8xxx and
> 7xxx in my servers. PC with NVidia RAID is just my
> workstation and I have not lost any important data. I was
> very happy when FreeBSD 6.1 "just worked" on this PC without
> any trouble :-), and this was my first trouble with minor
> data loss with FreeBSD.
>
> On real servers I use 3Ware or gmirror (depends on server usage).

I'm sorry, I'm just tired of hearing about raid woes and the great extents
people go to to try and make software raid work correctly.  They waste many
hours of their life on something that will never begin to be as good as a
$130.00 3Ware card.  So if you've spent more than 3-4 hours total time messing
around you could have had a 3Ware card.  Besides you spent good money on the
Tyan MB, almost like having a stone castle with thin styrofoam doors.