amd64/96516: FreeBSD/amd64 intermittent Network-Problems

Ralf Folkerts ralf.folkerts at gmx.de
Sat Jun 3 12:32:12 UTC 2006

Am Dienstag, den 02.05.2006, 16:18 -0400 schrieb John Baldwin:

Hi John,

> On Tuesday 02 May 2006 14:02, Ralf Folkerts wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 01.05.2006, 14:11 -0400 schrieb John Baldwin:
> >
> > Hi John,

> > > Ok, so it's on IRQ 22.  Does linux have any other devices on IRQ 21?

> > > Ok, so it's not that xl0 is actually on irq 21.
> > >
> > > It would be helpful to know which device is suddently spouting
> > > interrupts.  Can you make it go away by removing the sound or
> > > USB drivers?
> >
> > ok, I'll give that a try! Will it be sufficient to just remove the
> > Driver or should I remove the Sound Card and disable USB in BIOS? Also,
> > will Sound and USB be all? Should I also try another Graphics Card?
>
> Just removing the driver should be fine.  Mostly I want to see if turning
> off the other devices listening on IRQ 21 helps.  If it does then I'd like
> you to try just turning one of them off at a time to see if it is related
> to one of the devices.
>
> > However, as the problem just occurs intermittent (sometimes it doesn't
> > show for 2 - 3 weeks, then again it happens 3 times a day) it may take a
> > bit for me to get back to this; I'll try to run some "heavy" tests at
> > latest over this weekend...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > _ralf_

well, I turned off Sound on the 2nd May and it seems it "cured" the
Problem; at least, also I ran several "stress"-tests, the machine ran
fine and didn't show the "Interrupt Storm" Error.

Now, how should I go on? I could enable Sound again and raise the
"Storm-Limit" via sysctl and close the PR. However, as I already
exchanged Sound Card, NIC and Mainboard (and all these Components
(except for the Mainboard) work fine in a i386 FreeBSD-machine) it seems
there is either something wrong woth the Chipset-Support in
FreeBSD/amd64 OR the Chipset itself may be buggy, the Board's Design
could be crap or something like this.

MTIA!
Cheers,
_ralf_