amd64/99475: Mail attachement was modified

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Fri Jul 7 01:30:24 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 12:30:28AM +0000, Albert wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR amd64/99475; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Albert <alpha2 at sansha.tatung.com.tw>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: amd64/99475: Mail attachement was modified
> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:22:32 +0800
>
>  I just use FreeBSD 6.1/amd64 SMP to set up a mail server.
>  I use the default sendmail.cf, open relay on my own network, and send
>  mail via Thunderbird to myself.
>  Three type of encoding are used -- big5, iso-2002-jp, iso-8859-1
>  The mail content is all okey. (I mean the mail content is unchanged)
>  Then I test a mail with attachments -- pdf, ppt, xls, doc, txt, jpg.
>  When I receive the mail by pop3, all the attachments became random code
>  except text files whatever the encoding is.
>  I upgrade sendmail form 8.13.6 to 8.13.7. The results are the same.
>
>  Now I back to FreeBSD 5.5/i386 SMP + sendmail 8.13.6, All works perfect
>  as I want.

There was a recent security advisory involving sendmail and MIME
attachments that could be related to this.

I don't understand what business sendmail has even *looking*
at the MIME structure of a message, let alone mucking about
with it.  I'd say use that as yet another reason to change to
a different MTA.  (I noticed that NetBSD seems to have removed
sendmail from the base system altogether in recent current, in
favour of postfix...)

Cheers,

--
Andrew