SMP system not running SMP

Peter Seebach seebs at plethora.net
Tue Jul 4 18:44:22 UTC 2006

In message <200606301500.04617.jkim at FreeBSD.org>, Jung-uk Kim writes:
>I had weird issues with floppy drive recently.  For certain platforms,
>it hangs at the same point.  Try disabling floppy controller from
>BIOS if you don't need it.  If the BIOS doesn't have the option, try
>removing 'device fdc' from kernel configuration.

No change.

So, it looks at this point like my options are to run something else, or
to find a completely different PCI SCSI controller which isn't in the ahc/ahd
family.  Or, possibly, to learn enough about ACPI to debug it usefully
sometime in the next couple of days.

Anyone got any other cool suggestions?  Modifying BIOS ACPI options seems to
be to no avail.  NetBSD works fine on this machine (except that the plug-in
FireWire card seems not to work); it's able to go MP using the ioapic without
ACPI support, so I have no idea whether their ACPI support would work any
better.

-s