mp3 play on amd64

Chris Ball cjb at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 11:20:51 PST 2006

>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:23:09, Tsu-Fan Cheng <tfcheng at gmail.com> said:

   > Hi, I don't know if anybody has experienced this already.  But my
   > mpg321/mpg123 just failed to play mp3 file from command line. xmms
   > can play this file fine. When I run mpg321 xxx.mp3, press enter,
   > then there is no further action, the cursor just hang there on the
   > next line. similar thing happened for mpg123. I know this is weird,
   > but any idea? thanks!

At a guess, you have a mixer (eg. esd) holding access to /dev/dsp, and
mpg123 is blocking trying to open it.  Xmms understands playing through
mixers like esd, so that would explain how it doesn't see the hang.

I can't be certain, but it seems unlikely that this is an amd64-specific
problem.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at mrao.cam.ac.uk>