i386 programs in ports

Coleman Kane zombyfork at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:29:09 PST 2006

On 3/1/06, Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to build i386 ports on a amd64 machine so that
> they will *run* on the same machine?  I can fiddle with
> individual programs and make them work by copying required
> shared libs to /usr/lib32 etc. but I am hoping for a painless
> solution!  Ideally almost all 386 pkgs should just install
> and work.

We brought up some discussion regarding this on the list not a couple weeks
ago. I (wrongly) estimated the demands of my day job(s) and now... nothing
has come of it from me yet. I want to push this forward (but lack the
resources to carry it out). Sounds like you already have some experience.

We did lay some groundwork of demands, though, so maybe the solution is not
as far off as it would seem. Check out the archives for this list.

Second, why does ldd fail on 32 bit binaries?  As I
> understand it, ldd simply runs the program being ldd'ed after
> setting some env. variables.  So may be the fix is not too
> hard....

ldd is probably expecting to get elf64 images and gets angry when stuff in
the elf32 image you gave it is not right. Try building/using the 32-bit ldd
with your 32-bit binaries.

We need a i386 binaries on amd64 FAQ page!