Kernel Freezes

Wesley Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Fri Feb 24 10:45:20 PST 2006

I'm in the process of upgrading to an amd64 machine, and have run into
some problems. The system is a Sempron 2600+ running in an ABIT KV-85
board, with 1gb of ram and a Maxtor 300gb SATA drive.

So far, I was able to install both 6.1-beta2 and 6.0 without a problem.
The system boots fine and seems to idle fine (at least, it idled all last
night). The problem occurs when I try to compile something -- a custom
kernel, buildworld, a couple ports -- the system freezes solid, with a
garbled video display. The network driver doesn't seem to be the problem.
I've disabled practically everything I can in the BIOS and I've even
installed an old PCI video card, all with the same result.

Trying to boot a 5.4 kernel was unsuccessful, the system froze during
device detection, although I am not sure where as the screen became
unreadable. I'll have to try a serial console later.

Unfortunately I don't have the dmesg output handy ATM, but I wanted to
know if this problem tickled anyone's brain for a possible answer... I'll
post the boot logs later.

Thanks,

WM