freebsd 5.4 gnome 2.12 build problems.

Gary Jennejohn garyj at jennejohn.org
Mon Feb 20 11:03:46 PST 2006

Ken Easson writes:
> I've upgraded kernel and userland to Freebsd 6.1, i've followed the
> instructions in the Freebsd manual to completely remove all gnome2
> (pkg_delete -rf pkgconfig\* ), and have deinstalled and reinstalled
> xorg.
>
> while trying to build gnome2 again (after a reboot) using "make install
> clean" the build Stopped with the same error in librsvg-2.12.7 as i've
> previously posted.

I just did a _virgin_ install of gnome2 on my 64-bit system and had NO
problems whatsoever!

Note: virgin means there was _never_ a previous installtion of gnome2
on my machine, since I find gnome much too bloated to be useful.

Anyway, this leads me to conclude that there's a remnant of some gnome2
dependency on your machine which is causing all the problems.

I recommend a radical cure:

1) delete /usr/X11R6
2) delete /usr/local
3) delete /var/db/pkg/*
4) delete /var/db/ports/*
5) do a fresh install of gnome2

for Ernst Winter: I also installed AbiWord with no problem. I suspect you
have similar trash on your system.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg garyjATdenxDOTde