reproducible panic - 6.0-STABLE-SNAP011 - vm_fault: fault on nofault entry

V. T. Mueller freebsd-amd64 at datafarm.de
Fri Feb 17 08:43:42 PST 2006

Hello,

I was searching the list archives, but could not find anything that
looked really related. So here is my problem:

We need to move several services from 5.4 i386 to amd64 and thought
6.0 would work. All tests so far ended in panics or kernel traps,
though.

Our test hardware is a Supermicro H8D8A
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/8131/H8DA8.cfm
with two single-core Opteron 246, eight GB of RAM and one ICP-Vortex
GDT8500RZ zero-channel RAID controller (iir). Board and controller
firmware are up-to-date; hardware was fully tested and proven
error-free.

Booting from 6.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso results in kernel trap
12 depending on ACPI on/off. When not dying of sync with the
mentioned kernel trap 12, it panics the same way as describe below.

Booting from 6.0-STABLE-SNAP011-bootonly.iso first works, but panics
at "writing partition information to disk da0" with:

panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: ffffffffb19fb000

This is happening independantly from parameters like swap size
and/or the patition scheme attempted. Disabling ACPI does not alter
this behaviour, too. Besides, 6.1-BETA1 is the same (7.0-CURRENT
dies early during bootup).

Has anyone seen s/th like this before? Any hints where the root of
this evil might be located? Is there anything I can do to help
tracking the problem down to its cause?

TIA,
vt