32-bit X libs?

Coleman Kane cokane at cokane.org
Sun Feb 5 22:15:18 PST 2006

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 08:46:20PM -0600, Astrodog wrote:
> Awhile back, I think it was scottl, that had a reason not to do this.
> I'd have to check archives.

The only real reason I can think of is to not fall into the trap that
Windoze and Mac OS X do:

Their 64-bit versions of their Operating Systems just end up running
a bunch of 32-bit programs due, in part, to the lack of motivation on
most anyone's part to maintain a 64-bit and 32-bit codetrain

If FreeBSD/amd64 had a nice, easy way to add 32-bit programs to the
system, then people would get comfortable with it, and we'd all just
have to get used to running 32-bit everything on our nice, fancy 64-bit
boxen.

--
coleman kane