linux32 breakage in current..

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Mon Aug 28 17:35:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 03:13:44PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:

> > > I've gone as far back as 15 Jul 06, and the problem is still
> > > there.  I ran out of time to go back to earlier versions.  I'll
> > > try again on Monday.
> >
> > Wow, thanks!
>
> All previous attempts have been reverting only the kernel back
> to previous dates.  I tried a 01 Jun 06 kernel, which led to an
> instant panic.  I believe the kernel panic is due to a too old
> kernel with a too new world, so I reverted my system (kernel+world)
> to 01 Jun 06.
>
> Out of 15 attempts to use acroread, it started with no segfaults.
> I'll move forward in time by 1 week intervals and install new
> kernel+world until I see the failure.

I'm still looking for the problem (I took several vacations days,
which explains the delay).

With source from 30 Jun 06, a kernel+world shows.

troutmask:kargl[202] acroread church.pdf
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
troutmask:kargl[203] acroread church.pdf
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
troutmask:kargl[204] acroread church.pdf
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
troutmask:kargl[205] acroread church.pdf
/usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/bin/acroread: line 173:   839 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ( test_install_dir "$install_dir" )
troutmask:kargl[206] acroread church.pdf
troutmask:kargl[207] acroread church.pdf
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
troutmask:kargl[208] acroread church.pdf
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
troutmask:kargl[209] acroread church.pdf
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Oddly, command 205 actually opened the pdf in acroread.

--
Steve