FreeBSD 6.x SMP amd64 hang on dual Xeon after "shutdown -r

Guy Helmer ghelmer at palisadesys.com
Mon Apr 17 20:20:17 UTC 2006

Cédric Jonas wrote:
> Guy Helmer wrote:
>
>> Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've implemented a fix for this utilizing ACPI reboots. Please
>>> apply kern/94939 and tell me if shutdown(8) with -r or
>>> reboot(8) works for you. My suspicion is that it will.
>>>
>>> Also, you may be interested in kern/94822, as FreeBSD won't
>>> hang on start-up attaching atkbd(4). If you're working on
>>> Intel SBX82 blades, specifically, kern/94833 and bin/94815 may
>>> also be interesting to you.
>>>
>>> Please leave me cc'ed to this thread as I don't subscribe to
>>> this list.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Devon H. O'Dell
>>>

>> Thank you, those PRs look very useful indeed.
>>
>> Guy
>>
> Does this commit solve your problem? I have an Asus A6KM Notebook
> which has the same problem (among much others) with today's current
> (since some weeks).

I haven't verified whether this solves the problem I asked about -- I
actually asked on behalf of one of our company's partners who has the
troublesome hardware, and I haven't yet given them an updated kernel to
test.  I see that Nate Lawson committed a patch based on kern/94939 to
resolve the reboot problem (rev. 1.220 of src/sys/dev/acpica/acpi.c
indicates that the reset fix should be merged to RELENG-6 within a
couple of weeks).  I thought someone else recently added a patch to
resolve the hang on boot without a legacy keyboard controller, but I
can't seem to find the current status of the keyboard controller fix.

Guy

--
Guy Helmer, Ph.D.
Principal System Architect