amd64/94896: Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel ?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sun Apr 9 17:10:25 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR amd64/94896; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de>
To: mv at thebeastie.org (Michael Vince)
Cc: hhc at tut.by, bug-followup at FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-amd64 at FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: amd64/94896: Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel ?
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 19:05:14 +0200 (CEST)

 Michael Vince wrote:
  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
  > [...]
  > > > Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel?
  > >
  > > It's not possible to support it.
  > >
  > > > Why "options VESA" not worked  for AMD64?
  > >
  > > Because FreeBSD/amd64 cannot perform calls to the VESA BIOS
  > > functions (which are 32bit i386 code, not amd64).
  > >
  > > > How make videomode 1280x1024 or another?
  > >
  > > I recommend you use Xorg for that.  Otherwise, if you
  > > absolutely need VESA modes, you have to install 32bit
  > > FreeBSD/i386.
  > >
  > > > Why only one mode 80x25 available?
  > >
  > > Actually I think 80x50 should be possible with vidcontrol(1),
  > > which is a standard mode that does not require VESA BIOS.
  >
  > I don't want to sound like a complainer but there must still technically
  > be a console based hi-res mode for AMD64 because I saw such a high res
  > mode when I tried out Gentoo on my laptop.
  > I decided I didn't like Gentoo but aside from that point it proves that
  > some how its possible for hi-res console even if no such code exists on
  > FreeBSD AMD64.

 I don't know what kind of "hi-res console mode" you have
 seen on Gentoo, and I don't know what Gentoo might be doing
 to enable such a thing.  Maybe they have implemented direct
 support for certain graphics hardware (like KGI), or maybe
 they switch to VESA mode before switching to amd64 mode.

 However, there is no way to call the x86 VESA BIOS in amd64
 ("long") mode, because amd64 has no vm86 mode.  It does not
 work, and Gentoo certainly doesn't do that either.

 So, "options VESA" in the kernel (which is what this PR is
 all about) does not make sense at all.

 Best regards
    Oliver

 "What is this talk of 'release'?  We do not make software 'releases'.
 Our software 'escapes', leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality
 assurance people in its wake."