extreme mem usage under amd64 arch ?

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 7 17:26:26 UTC 2006

Astrodog wrote this message on Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 21:28 +0800:
> and pointer, you use 4 Bytes. On a 64-bit processor, all ints, and
> pointers take up 64-bits of memory. So, for every int and pointer, you
> use 8 bytes. (Assuming its a 64-bit app, of course) That means

Not quite...  FreeBSD/amd64 like all? the other arches are LP64...
that means longs and pointers are 64bits, while ints remain at 32bits...
This was primarily done because too many people assumed ints were
32bits for things like disk structures and network protocol layout,
and to break less code, LP64 was decided upon...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579