Status of NX bit support.

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Apr 4 12:27:30 UTC 2006

Igor Robul <igorr at speechpro.com> wrote:
 > I'm very new to FreeBSD on AMD64 (really, I dont have AMD64 based PC),
 > so I have two questions:

This isn't answering your questions, but it might be helpful
anyway:  If you want to try FreeBSD/amd64, but you don't have
AMD64 hardware, then you can run it inside qemu-system-x86_64
on a FreeBSD/i386 host.

 >  2) and also, can I use amd64-jail on FreeBSD/i386 on AMD64 host
 >     (I think this is not possible)?

That's not possible, but you can run it inside qemu, if you
need it (see above).  The performance will not be very good,
of course, because all of the amd64 instructions have to be
emulated in software, but it's good enough for testing and
checking things out.

Best regards
   Oliver

"To this day, many C programmers believe that 'strong typing'
just means pounding extra hard on the keyboard."
        -- Peter van der Linden