amd64 Radeon 9000 nForce3 250 agp support - Yes and No

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 16 09:51:35 PDT 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 04:04 am, Ganael Laplanche wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 September 2005 11:53 am, Ganael Laplanche wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I tried beta-1 with Radeon 9000 pro and nforce3-250gb, but
> > > system hangs during X bootup. I had to go back to the goold old
> > > driver from 5.x :(
> >
> > The 'good old' driver uses generic nForce AGP interface.  If the
> > driver really works, I will be surprised.  I admit agp_amd64.c
> > requires more work (esp. chipset-specific handling including
> > nForce) but I had no time/hardware.
> >
> > Anyway you have to make sure agp(4) really works for you.
>
> Hi again,
>
> No, I have no agp support, but using the old driver allows me to
> start X... I remember using the new driver made a /dev/agpgart
> appear, but the system crashes at X startup...

Ah, so you are using old driver to disable AGP support? :-)  You can
always turn off DRI from xorg.conf.

> > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200405181244.28716.jkim
> >
> > > The PR is here :
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/84015
> > >
> > > Any clue ?
> >
> > Have you tried xorg-server-snap?  If it doesn't work, can you try
> > this?
>
> No, I didn't, but I think I'll have the same pb since agp code for
> nforce3-250 is not correct in the kernel :(

As a matter of fact, agp(4) is not usual suspect here.  DRM is.  So,
you need to make sure agpgart is functioning.  If so, drm(4) may be
at its fault.

> > http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/xorg-server-snap.diff

There are many radeon driver fixes in it.  If agpgart works but xorg
still crashes, you need this.

Thanks,

JK