Problems with Nacona Xeons

Sean rsh.lists at comcast.net
Sun Sep 11 09:34:40 PDT 2005

David S. Besade wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I have a Dual Xeon (With EM64T) system running FreeBSD 5.4 AMD64 - Release
> (with a -stable kernel). I can't get the kernel to see my second CPU. I have
> recompiled and retuned and done everything I could to get it to see the
> second CPU. The guys on IRC (##Freebsd on freenode) told me to post this to
> this list.
>
> I do have the ACPI disabled as it doesn't work right yet. The Motherboard is
> a Tyan S5350 ( http://tyan.com/products/html/tigeri7320.html ) running with
> 2 Dual Nacona Core Xeons. I had the datacenter check the BIOS and everything
> is as it should be. I have Registered ECC RAM on it as well.
>
> Both CPU's were recogized by Centos 4.1 X86-64, however I prefer FBSD to
> anything Linux. So if you guys could help me out I would appreciate it. I
> think I have given you all the relevant information I Hope but if not just
> ask me I will get it.
>
> Thanks in advance
> -Dave

You said you did a kernel recompile, so did you include
'device		acpi'
'options	SMP'
in your custom kernel before you recompiled?

That is what did it for me.

Do a 'dmesg | less' and near the top portion you should see a statement
like 'FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs' and then
after showing the cpu info.

Like someone else mentioned, I also thought ACPI had to be enabled.

Sean