don't know how to make buildkernel...

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 8 12:14:09 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 11:40:29AM -0700, Jeff D. Hamann wrote:
> I've just put together a new amd64 machine in an ASUS Vintage-ae1 barebones
> system. After giving up on FreeBSD 5.4 when it gagged on my hard drive, I
> decided to try going all the way to 6.0beta4. Almost everything went
> without incident except for mounting usb sticks and the on-board network
> card isn't coming up. It seems to get detected, but not initialized.
>
> When I run dmesg, I get the following lines (I can't post the whole thing
> since I can't get files from the bsd box to my windows box -- no mcopy and
> I don't know how to mount the usb stick either):
>
> plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0

This is not your network card, but the parallel port internet protocol driver.

> northbridge: SIS 760GX
> southbridge: SIS 965L

From the documentation on the Sis website, the 760 chipset has a
southbridge 964 for networking (among other
things). http://www.sis.com/products/sis760_features.htm

> and so doing a little research, I think the sis device driver might work
> (maybe?) and so I might need to recompile the kernel to get the onboard nic
> to light up, right?

The sis device is configured in the GENERIC kernel on amd64. So if it's
not recognized, this particular chip might not be supported by the driver.

Are there any lines starting with 'sis' in the dmesg output?

> I've been hunting around to see if I can recompile the
> kernel to include the SIS ethernet driver and I'm having some trouble with
> the process of building a new kernel under 6.0-BETA4...
>
> >From re-reading my references, compiling a new kernel is accomplished with
> the following steps:
>
> 1) cd /sys/amd64/conf
> 2) cp KERNEL MYKERNEL
> 3) make the edits to MYKERNEL (adding the line "device sis" to the file)

device sis is enabled in the GENERIC kernel on amd64:
slackbox:~$ grep sis /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
device          sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016

> okay, so when I attempt to build a new kernel, I get the following:
>
> bobby# make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop
> bobby#
>
> now what?

Are you sure you are in /usr/src? Do you have the kernel source installed?

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt