Asus A8N Deluxe sli (for anyone thats using one)

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Sun Sep 4 09:04:53 PDT 2005

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 01:04:36 -0700
"David O'Brien" <obrien at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 04:04:19PM -0600, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> > > I would run away from any such board :-(
> >
> > That was my initial preference but when I started shoping realized how
> > far behind the VIA based stuff is I had to rethink this.
>
> Why is VIA based boards "so far behind"?  SLI isn't supported on Linux
> nor FreeBSD, so that cannot be the reason.  Early K8T890 boards won't
> support Athlon64 X2 dual-core CPU's, but the latest revision does.  So
> what is so behind?

Well now that your other post has illuminated the K8T890 first/second
revision dual core support difference searching mainboard manufacture's
sites becomes less confusing- the ones w/K8T890 boards that don't
support dual core are apparently using older generation chips....

I'd like to have my board support 4 SATA connectors and I'd also like
to have SATAII w/o having to go to auxillary RAID card.  It's not
critical but since my new drives are SATAII I'd like the board to
support them.  I've not found a K8T890 that does either of these
whereas it's commonplace in nForce4 boards (I don't want/need SLI so
have been taking a look at the Ultra stuff).

One very frustrating thing was that recently the VIA based socket 939
portion of Asus's website was broken for a good two weeks
and made it impossible to get "specifications".  Prior to that it gave
erroneous specs (and is still fubarred in various places...).  Added to
that an Asus distrib I know reports that Asus will not be using VIA
chipsets in the future.

So taken cummulatively this kind of just seemed to add up to VIA not
being long for this world and perhaps not a prudent investment for a
new board that one wants to be supported for the next few years....  All
other things being equal I would love to NOT add a dime to nVidia's
coffers. Unfortunately all things do not appear to be equal.  I don't
follow this at the level of detail others do, however, and am first to
admit that I could be wrong......

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson