Which SCHED_ for DB server

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Sep 1 06:54:57 GMT 2005

hi all,

I'm building a server that will run PostgreSQL with a database
containing several 10s of million records. The only things happening on
this box will be the SQL processes and other processes to parse raw data
and load into the DB. Users = a few connections via HTTP from an
intranet server (not more than 5 concurrently).

I was wondering what is the best SCHED_ to set in the kernel.
I currently have SCHED_4BSD but was wondering if _ULE would be better
for this

#options        SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler

# uname -a
FreeBSD cerberus.xxx 6.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 6.0-BETA3 #2: Wed Aug 31 11:26:10
EST 2005     root at cerberus.xxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CERBERUS  amd64

# dmesg | grep -i cpu
CPU: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 250 (2411.12-MHz K8-class CPU)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

10 GB swap, raided. 2 GB RAM

4 x SATA 150 drives, 90% of it RAID5 with gvinum.

running on a TYAN  GT24 http://tyan.com/products/html/gt24b2891_spec.html

thanks in advance,
Beto