amd64/87305: Dual Opteron / FreeBSD 5 & 6 / powerd results in hard hangs

Justin Suyk jsuyk at signet.nl
Wed Oct 12 00:10:13 PDT 2005

>Number:         87305
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       Dual Opteron / FreeBSD 5 & 6 / powerd results in hard hangs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
We have a dual Opteron server which supports the PowerNow technology and that technology we want to use to save unneeded power. For that reason we are trying to get powerd and cpufreq going, but we are running in a lot of troubles when we ennable the powerd program. Under 5.4 RELEASE and stable hard hangs are occuring just 2 seconds after enabling powerd and under FreeBSD 6 the machines hangs after about a minute or two.

Under 5.4 we noticed that only one of the CPU was triggerd by powerd, and thus resulting in a hard crash because the other CPU was still running full speed. Under 6 that was fixed, the two CPU's were seen as one CPU by powerd and so the trigger to run on an lower clockspeed was picked up by the Opterons. But after 2 minutes the machine hangs again.
>How-To-Repeat:
Under 5.4, compile the new kernel with cpufreq support and try starting powerd, the machine hangs after about 2 seconds. Under 6 RC1 the machine hangs, but after 2 minutes instead of 2 seconds.
>Fix:
No fix kwown to us