Syskonnect problem

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Tue Oct 11 01:45:21 PDT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Guillaume R. wrote:

Hi,

> I'm using a sk card to be connected through a pppoe connection. But all the
> 30mn I must reboot coz I got a "sk0:watchdog timeout".
> Quite tired I decided to look at the problem more seriously. I just update
> my tree.So i suppose my 5.4 stable box is up to date.
> I tried first to look at the transmits packets and here I got a surpise:
> # tcpdump tun0
> tcpdump: WARNING: sk0: no IPv4 address assigned
> When I look to the ifconfig:
> ifconfig tun0
> tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
>         inet 84.99.235.73 --> 84.99.235.1 netmask 0xffffff00
>         Opened by PID 485
> Does anyone got an idea of what's going wrong with this sk card?

not really. the watchdog timeouts I am still seeing are not even
interrupting me working on the box (I only see them on console but
can still type with ssh) so they are a bit strange and they only
happen on one of my machines but not the other.
I haven't been able to track down why they are still there.

What I don't need is to reboot the box. The times where sk(4) rendered
networking unusable are gone - at least I haven't seen reports the
last months while there were lots before.

a) are you sure you have to reboot the machine or would a pppctl close
   on that connection help?

b) what type of card do you have? best would be the appropriate lines
   from bootverbose output.

c) Do you have more than 4G RAM. That might still cause problems.