Wine on AMD64 - Any status or success stories?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Tue Oct 4 17:22:51 PDT 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 07:16 pm, K Anderson wrote:
> [...]

We don't have the required kernel infrastructure to make this work.

There are two problems.  1) Getting the application to execute code in
32 bit mode.  2) managing the 16/32 bit windows segments.

#2 is the big problem.  We don't have the i386_set_ldt() infrastructure.
We might be able to get #1 working by having the process do a far jump
to the 32 bit code user segment selector in the GDT, but I haven't
messed with this yet.  There are so many problems to deal with it isn't
funny, eg: delivering signals in 64 bit sigframe format on a stack of a
process that is currently executing in a 32 bit %cs segment.

The problem set could probably be reduced by running 32 bit binaries,
but again, we can't do without the i386_set_ldt() infrastructure.  I
was reminded about this again today while checking out a different
problem...  I think its time to do something about this missing
feature.

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com