linux32 compat core dumps wrong?

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Sat Oct 1 12:41:10 PDT 2005

I'm getting a core dump and I'm pretty sure it is from a linux32 run
program.  Yet the file seems wrong:

file java.core
java.core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
FreeBSD-style, from 'java'

/compat/linux/usr/bin/gdb ./jre/1.4.2/x86-linux2/bin/java java.core
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.2.1-4)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux"...
(no debugging symbols found)...

warning: Couldn't find general-purpose registers in core file.

warning: Wrong size fpregset in core file.

I get this output when it crashes:

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0xFFFFEFD4
Function=[Unknown.]
Library=(N/A)

NOTE: We are unable to locate the function name symbol for the error
      just occurred. Please refer to release documentation for possible
      reason and solutions.

This program works just fine on Linux.

Cheers,
Sean