Mainboard for amd64 (and some other questions)

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 3 11:16:42 PST 2005

Roland Smith píše v čt 03. 11. 2005 v 20:13 +0100:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 06:40:05PM +0100, Felix 'buebo' Kakrow wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm looking for a Mainboard for an amd64 desktop machine. I know the
> > list of supported mainboards on freebsd.org and I'f tried to find a
> > something with google, but the combination of PCI-Express and fully
> > (or even mostly) supported seems to be very hard to find.
>
> AFAIK, FreeBSD nor Xorg supports PCI-Express yet.

The happy existence of a PCI-Express based Geforce card in my coworker's
FreeBSD workstation would suggest otherwise.

> > Iam looking for board with a fast chipset (something like the
> > nForce4), SATA, gigabit ethernet and sound on-board supported in
> > RELENG-6.
>
> Avoid nForce chipsets; they don't work well with most free OS/s.

Avoid nForce 2 and 3 series. nForce 4 seems to be quite okay.

http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

Squish. Larger than the normal icky things, and twice as icky.