AMD64 Faster?

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Tue May 31 07:20:39 PDT 2005

On May 30, 2005, at 11:18 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> All the reports I have read from several lists, including some non
> FreeBSD ones, seems to show AMD64 doing significantly better on
> data intensive operations.
>
> In a PostgreSQL list I read reports of 1.5 to 2.0 times the
> performance of Intel CPU of the same speed.

I'll confirm this with PostgreSQL.  I have a 1-year old Dell 2650
with a 14-disk RAID array that cannot keep up with replication coming
from a dual opteron with a 6 disk RAID array.  The replica doesn't
even need to do any data intergrity checking (foreign keys) which are
quite expensive.

For normal regular server usage, though, I don't see a need for
opteron.  the intel emt64 Xeon system I have is kind of mediocre,
too, running FreeBSD/amd64, but I think that's just because it is a
Dell :-)

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806