amd64 optimized gcc?

Michael VInce mv at roq.com
Wed May 25 17:13:47 PDT 2005

Interesting.
I have been playing with GCC optimizations my self latterly and have
been wondering how much it helps, haven't done any benchmarks though.
I some times wonder if the GCC people are doing good working with
optimization flags.

I recently lost my hard drive on my ASUS A4K (AMD64) laptop,
so bought a new 16meg cache 80gig Toshiba hard drive for it, while I
wait for warranty to come through on my old one.
I did a buildworld under  'CPUTYPE=athlon64' in make.conf and 'CFLAGS=
-O2 -pipe -funroll-loops' for the the kernel.
I also used both to build all my ports including xorg and KDE.
All this combined has made my laptop feel a lot faster. After I load up
openoffice2 (via Linux emu) once I can fully reopen a xls file in about
1.5 seconds, I believe the HD cache must be playing a bit part in that.

Mike