Dual Xeon EM64T crashes reliably w/ 5.x amd64

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:09:28 PDT 2005

> with identical hardware. His machine is not as loaded, so in his case
> moving from four CPUs (two "real" + HTT) to two real (shutting down
> HTT) was enough to stop the crashes. For me, I must run UP.

What compile-options do you have in /etc/make.conf? Doing php I guess
it's a web-server, what other apps are running on the server? Is the
server located in a location with adequate cooling?

May not apply any longer, but during the 5.1-days Scott Long advised
me to add the following lines to /boot/loader.conf:

echo vm.kmem_size="450000000" >> /boot/loader.conf
echo kern.maxvnodes="200000" >> /boot/loader.conf

That prevented my webservers from rebooting without any apparent
reason. Too many temp-files was the cause. Try purging temp-files more
often if the above lines do help.

Claus