amd64/81277: Fully Functional

Eric Toll eric at vipstructures.com
Thu May 19 10:40:04 PDT 2005

>Number:         81277
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       Fully Functional
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD rodan.vipstructures.com 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Fri May 13 12:55:54 EDT 2005  eric at rodan.vipstructures.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HAMMER  amd64

I have a Gigabyte motherboard: GA-7A8DW with dual Opteron 242's working very well with AMD64 FreeBSD 5.4.  This MB is on 3Ware's approved list. I used a 66Mhz 64Bit PCI SATA 3Ware controller for the disks, which are WD250Gb RAID edition drives.  Did not test onboard Sil SATA controller (diabled in bios). This MB has no chipset fans, and is very quiet. I used Kingston HyperX Ram (2x512 ECC REG DDR400) for memory and an Antec EATX Titan 550 Case.  I used an AGP 8x Radeon 9200SE in the MB AGP 8x slot and am running X in accelerated 24 bit mode.  Many thanks to those on the AMD64-FreeBSD list.  This 'recipe' took me quite a while to come up with and works well.

Runs like a bought one!
>How-To-Repeat:
No problems, just solutions.