Rackmount MP AMD boxes?

Astrodog astrodog at gmail.com
Sun May 15 10:15:36 PDT 2005

> > The dual core support is nice plus.  From the pricing I've seen,
> > however, a single dual core comes in substantially higher than 2
> > single core cpu's.  But then this is just w/my upstream distributor's
> > pricing, not shopping the net at large....  Such a strategy offers a
> > very attractive option;-)
> >

> I think this is a little wrong point. a four proc system based on two
> dual-core cpus in a 2-way motherboard is less expensive than a four
> proc system based on four cpus in a 4-way one.
>
> Also, the dual-core system may use DDR400 an 1000 Hypertransport with
> near half the power (0.095 core).
>
> --
>   josemi

If you're getting into the higher-end Opterons, a single, Dual-Core
CPU is significantly cheaper than 2 single core processors. I think
the cheapest one is based on the 246, and can be had for ~$600. (Vs
about $550 for 2 246s), but, as you go up, to say 250s, the dual core
only adds about $300 to the price. Does anyone know if its possible to
mix dual core, and single core parts?