iWill ZMaxDP

Toll, Eric etoll at vipstructures.com
Fri May 13 05:02:08 PDT 2005

> At Thu, 12 May 2005 20:36:26 -0700,
> Steve Kargl wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 11:32:14PM -0400, gnn at freebsd.org wrote:
> > > So, I'm considering doing 2P work on FreeBSD-CURRENT with
> the above
> > > box.  Specs:
> > >
> > > nVIDIA nForce3 Professional MCP
> > >
> > > TI IEEE1394 TSB43AB22PDT Host Controller
> > >
> > > Marvell 88E1111 PHY
> > >
> > > Native nVIDIA Ethernet MAC
> > >
> > > I saw some issues in the mailing list in January but I'm
> wondering
> > > how this box is working lately.
> > >

> > Buyer beware.  Read the last 4 months of the mailing list.
>
> I read over that.  Perhaps I should be more specific.  This
> if for kernel hacking on 2P machine at home.  I'd prefer a
> small, quiet, 2P machine as I will get murdered if I put a
> loud machine in the living room ;-)  So, it's not a desktop
> machine, and it will be running the bleeding edge.
>
> Any recommendations given the previous comments?

It sounds like you already bought the box, or already have it.  If not, I just
built one out of components and its *very* quiet.  (See: My proposed 3ware
system) Cost was about $1800.00 and this included dual Opteron 242's a 64Bit
3Ware Raid controller, (2) 250Gb SATA RAID Edition drives and a nice Antec
550Watt EATX case. System is Gigabyte board GA-7A8DW with AMD chipset.  You
could make the price even lower if you removed the extra drive, the expensive
RAM and the RAID controller.

It runs like a bought one!

HTH
Eric