amd64/80691: amd64 kernel hangs on load

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Thu May 12 11:50:06 PDT 2005

The following reply was made to PR amd64/80691; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Niall Douglas" <s_sourceforge at nedprod.com>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Cc: Kent Palmkvist <kentp at isy.liu.se>
Subject: Re: amd64/80691: amd64 kernel hangs on load
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:47:59 +0100

 On 12 May 2005 at 15:53, Kent Palmkvist wrote:

 > I got a similar error as you when I tried my Acer Aspire 1522WLMi with
 > FreeBSD 5.3. It turned out to be a problem with the BIOS setup: There
 > was an entry to enable/disable USB legacy support. If I disabled this,
 > then FreeBSD booted correctly.

 Tried this, and it now works fine. Thank you very much for the tip.

 Point 1: There really should be an FAQ entry in the amd64 release
 notes specifying this problem and workaround

 Point 2: It's still a bug in the amd64 implementation as i386 works
 fine.

 Cheers,
 Niall