X11 setup for ATI cards (was Re: Off List email)

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed May 11 10:56:39 PDT 2005

Reply to the list because your company/ISP bounces mail from the .nl domain.

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 01:27:28PM -0400, Toll, Eric wrote:
> I've still to setup X11..
>
> Could you tell me a bit a bout what you added to the kernel to get
> Accelerated OpenGL mode, using your Radeon 9250 card?

The following is necessary in your kernel configuration:

device agp
device radeondrm

You'll also need to install the 'dri' package (/usr/ports/graphics/dri).

> I have a rather old ATI RAGE 128 agp card, this isn't even the same family
> chipset as yours I suspect.

The rage is an older chip. It should also direct rendering if you have
the following in your kernel configuration (do not remove the quote marks):

device "r128drm"

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.