Weird keybaord issue in releng_5 (5.4-Stable) on Asus K8V Deluxe

andreas at heijdendael.nl andreas at heijdendael.nl
Sat May 7 11:24:39 PDT 2005

Hi there,

Just installed FreeBSD 5.3 from the CD, had some trouble doing it over the
network because of DHCP quirks in the sk driver (that's my 'feeling') but
ok, it's running now.

As I want an updated system I started following the manual to do a full
makeworld and get my system up to date. Everything goes fine, compiling
the kernel in 7 minutes, world in 51. What more could I wish for? The
problem starts after make installkernel and the subsequent reboot into
single usermode. The kernel boots just fine and finally prompts for the
location of your favourite shell or hit enter for /bin/sh. Hitting enter
results in nothing. All keys except the caps-lock, scroll-loc and num-loc
(which seem to be unaffected, the lights start burning when pressing them)
refuse to do anything. So the only option I have at that point is a
forcefull reboot, reboot into the old kernel (which works just fine) and
redo the whole thing (except the make buildworld).

The GENERIC config file states:
# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse

Seems pretty allright to me.

less /sys/conf/newvers.sh comes up with 5.4 stable (check what version is
actually CVSup-ed when using RELENG_5 in cvsupfile). Done that before so
that's not an issue either. Unfortunately I cannot give you the output of
/var/run/boot/dmesg since it is being overwritten every time you boot and
since my keyboard doesn't work I can't move it out of the way. Booting
with debug messages would be an option but I don't know how to switch it
on from the bootprompt. I'll go search fot that in a minute. In the
meantime I hope somebody else here has had the same problem and fixed it.
Or knows a workaround (don't have a USB keyboard so that's not an option
(-; )

Thanks a lot already!!

Greetings,

Andreas

ps: System is ASUS k8V Deluxe, no exotic hardware or memory configuration,
just a hell of a lot USB devices (which all work fine). Running stock
kernel from installation CD now. (FreeBSD amd64bsd 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD
5.3-RELEASE)