Hello 64 World - My proposed 3Ware system

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Thu May 5 11:22:14 PDT 2005

Thus spake Toll, Eric (etoll at vipstructures.com) [05/05/05 12:58]:
: To me X Windows is sooo sexy.  I *love* the GL screensaveers, I also like to
: watch my logs in realtime. (e.g.  tail -F /var/log/maillog  ...)I'll be running
: 1280x1024x32 color with the Nvidia accelerated driver via a 19' NEC CRT.  Even
: now the OpenGL screen savers only use 3%-10% of my CPU. Have you ever seen
: "Endgame" run at 45fps? In best GL mode.  I love X11 (or is it X.org now)  DNS &
: WWW logs I like watch on screen realtime.  So to me having a server motherboard
: with an AGP port is very important.
:
: Will I be able to do this [the above] with AMD-64 FreeBSD?

Nope.  The nVidia accelerated driver doesn't support AMD64 yet.  There's
been murmurings of a driver in development, but I've not heard from them yet
(three e-mails to their support team and counting).  You can check the
archives of this list for details.

That being said, the nv driver still works great, even though it doesn't
have hardware 3D support.  It's not much for games, but it can still to
1600x1200x32 without much trouble.