to interleave or not to interleave...

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Thu May 5 11:08:23 PDT 2005

Hello:

Searching for enlightenment and I'm not a memory guru nor kernel hacker
here so could use some help understanding this. System is a Tyan
B2882T26 w/ a pair of 246's. I've two 1GB sticks of Corsair ECC
Registered memory onhand.  Question is whether it would be "best" to:

1) put both cpu0 dimm slots 1 & 2

2) put 1 in dimm slot 1 of each cpu

If I understand correctly, config 1 results in 128 bit interleaved while
config 2 results in 64 bit non-interleaved.  (config 1 leaves cpu 0 as
memory "controller" for cup 1?).  I've read some stuff where
interleaved results in faster access but also can have "miss"
penalaties.  Any explanations on where one strategy is better than
other appreciated.

Thanks for the insights.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson
GPG Key-- 9F5179FD

"Freedom begins between the ears."	-- Edward Abbey