Asus A8N-SLI issues

Peter Korsten peterk at maltanet.net
Sun May 1 04:53:15 PDT 2005

Hi,

I've been using FreeBSD on and off since version 2.something, but only
recently I got an Asus A8N-SLI (not the Deluxe version) and installed
5.3 on it, from the link you get from the download page.

There's the ACPI freeze problem, and I've found some references that
this will be solved at a later stage. Fair enough.

The thing that I wonder about, though, is why the Ethernet port does not
get recognised. This is not the same as in the Deluxe version, where I
believe there is a different controller from the nForce4 chipset. Oddly
enough, it does recognise the nForce4 Firewire controller and proposes
to do TCP/IP over it. Could this be an issue of the 'firewall' hardware
that this board comes with?

X isn't doing a lot either, but I've never found it easy to set that up,
so I'll look some more into it.

The S-ATA disc is recognised as UDMA33, but at least it knows the
correct size of the disc, contrary to some OS from Washington state that
I could mention.

Thanks for any replies,

- Peter