Problems with AMD64 and 8 GB RAM?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Wed Mar 30 15:22:28 PST 2005

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 03:15 pm, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 March 2005 at 16:01:14 -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> > Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> >> OK, this makes sense.  It might also explain why the 4 GB
> >> configuration only recognizes 3.5 GB.
> >
> > No, and I'm going to make this an FAQ and post it in a very obvious
> > place, since 4+ GB is so easy to get and people don't seem to
> > understand the PC architecture very well.
>
> That's not easy to understand when it's barely documented.  Thanks
> for the info: it helps a lot.
>
> This may still be a hint, though: that memory hole doesn't show up
> during a boot with 8 GB RAM.  How come?  Is the system trying to map
> RAM over the PCI hole?

Nope, its still there.  When you boot -v, you'll see the hole in the
"Physical memory chunk(s)" list.

However, I suspect that some of the bioses will set the 4GB hole
partition in the physical ram lower so that there will be 4.5GB of ram
above the 4GB mark.  I haven't looked too closely  to see for sure.

> It looks as if I should get a verbose boot listing with 8 GB.  It'll
> be a couple of hours before I find time to reboot this machine.  In
> the meantime, there's a verbose boot with 4 GB at
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/Images/20050331/obelix-dmesg.  I'm told it
> shows a number of strange things, including incorrect reporting of
> on-chip cache sizes.

Nope, it is correct.  You have 1MB of L2 cache.
L1 data cache: 64 kbytes, 64 bytes/line, 1 lines/tag, 2-way associative
L1 instruction cache: 64 kbytes, 64 bytes/line, 1 lines/tag, 2-way
associative
L2 unified cache: 1024 kbytes, 64 bytes/line, 1 lines/tag, 16-way
associative

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com