ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe FreeBSD 5.4-Beta problems

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Tue Mar 29 03:14:37 PST 2005

Florent Thoumie schrieb:

> O. Hartmann a écrit :
>
>> Dear Sirs.
>> I just tried to install a most recent set of FreeBSD
>> 5.4-PRERELEASE/5.4-BETA1 on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo. The system
>> has a Maxtor 6B200M0 200GB harddisk attached to the nForce4 SATA
>> connector (due to NCQ) and a NEC 3500AG DVD+RW attached to the
>> nForce4 ATA133 connector.
>> Booting from installation CDROM is not possible until acpi gets
>> disabled and this stays so when already did make world / new kernel
>> with a most recent CTM set of the kernel stuff.
>> It seems that FreeBSD does not know much about the SATA/SATA2
>> controller (it shows up as ATA Generic). The harddisk shows up as
>> UDMA33 drive (like the DVDRW).
>> Performance is crude, copying from DVD while compiling makes the
>> system hang for some seconds on console.
>>
>> Sorry, I'm not connected to the net with that machine so I lack in
>> dmesg-output.
>>
>> I read some time ago about nVidia nForce3/4 issues and I wonder that
>> this is still status quo.
>>
>> Compiling kernel without "atpic" seems to leave the operating system
>> inoperable, ACPI seems not to work. My question is whether FreeBSD
>> 5.4 will support this type of hardware or maybe 5.5 or will FreeBSD
>> not support this?
>>
>> Sorry bothering somebody around here, maybe this has been completely
>> discussed here but I do not read regularily this mailing list.
>>
>> Can someone send me hints/tips for a fast kerl config and say
>> something about the trapdoors?
>

>     I'm not sure what's wrong with your configuration but I have
>     this motherboard and had no problems with 5.3-R (except acpi
>     and broken sk(4) which is resolved now).

Dear Florent Thoumie.
The boards runs with FreeBSD 5.4-PRE with ACPI disabled and atpic legacy
support enabled. It 'runs' means
I can work with the machine, but still having performance impacts due to
lack in support of the new chips, see another
posting of mine and DES.
Thanks for your answer.
Oliver