32 bit compatibility on FreeBSD 5.3 Amd64

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Sun Mar 27 08:45:48 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 09:48:00AM -0600, Robert Wideman wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 5.3-Release AMD64 version.  When I try to compile my
> source that im writing for 32 bit compatibility I receive errors.
>
>        gcc -m32 <source.c>

I don't think you can use the -m32 multilib options, yet.  AMD64
has compatibility for *running* 32-bit binaries.  It does not
have 32-bit *building* capabilities.

> Ive read that 5.3 has problems with 32 bit compatibility and that 5.4
> should resolve this.  Does anyone know of a workaround on this?

32-bit compatibility for executions appears to work fine on
my system.  One work-around you can use is to actually use a
32-bit system to build your software.

--
Steve