AMD64 Ports

Astrodog astrodog at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:45:51 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:54:45 -0800, David O'Brien <obrien at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:50:13PM -0800, Astrodog wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't follow.  The current idea is that the linux_base port when
> > > installed for FreeBSD will install both 32-bit and 64-bit[*] bits.
> > >
> > > [*] When 64-bit Linux support is later added.  We have enough polishing
> > > to do to just support all the things we've already got to the standards
> > > people expect of FreeBSD.
> > > --
> > > -- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)
> > >

> > We have 2 problems, that I see.
> >
> > #1. Linux32 doesn't appear to be addressed for dependancies at all,
> > almost every linux-something port I've found, calls itsself i386 only,
> > and sometimes has minor RPM issues.
>
> What are the minor RPM issues?  I knew there are some (see archives for
> the arguments over the way we currently igngore them).  But a summary of
> current issues would be good.

The two that come up, that I've seen,
Most all of the ports that rely on Linux compat, linux-jdk,
linux-mozilla, etc,  don't use the RPM properly, they're labeled ONLY
FOT ARCHS i386. These are fixed with just adding amd64 to that list.

Also, any port that attempts to use system RPM seems to have problems,
when RPM tells it that its on the wrong arch.

> 'amd64# cd /usr/ports/print/acroread ; make install'
> worked for me at work.
>
> > #2. With IA32 Compatibility, it should be possible to install
> > i386-only ports, and packages in quite a few cases, because of the
> > binary compatibility stuff. I'm not sure how this could be handled
> > either, since it would require a specific kernel option be enabled....
> > much like Linux32, I suppose.
>
> Assume that if someone goes out of their way to install a 32-bit port,
> they have not removed the IA32 support from their kernel.  This is now in
> the default GENERIC config for 5.4.

Currently, without manual fetching and whatnot, you cannot easily
install i386 packages. With IA32 support included, it should be
possible to install 32-bit packages, and if the crosscompile is
viable, 32-bit only ports.

--- Harrison Grundy