Consistant buildworld Segmentation fault at '===> gnu/usr.bin/cc/cpp' after latest RELENG_5 cvsup

Aaron Daubman daubman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:50:05 GMT 2005

Hi Doug,

> > ===> gnu/usr.bin/cc/cpp
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > *** Error code 139
> [...]
>
> The typical reason for segfaults is bad hardware.  A v20z is a pretty
> decent server class machine, though, so unless its suffering from an
> undetected condition it should scream bloody murder if something goes
> bad. This is assuming it has ECC memory and you aren't ignoring that
> big yellow "maintenance" light that comes on when something bad
> happens, like a fan going down.
>
> Can you get into the LOM and check the environmentals?

Everything is showing up as "Nominal" status.
One note that might make a difference:
The system is a Dual Opteron - not single.  I was going by dmesg
output (and since GENERIC is non-SMP...), not on what I had actually
ordered (or LOM status showed ;-).

Also, isn't segfault usually only indicative of hardware failure when
it does not reliably occur at the exact same spot?

I should mention that this box was running some fairly intensive
network management software under Windows 2003 server for a month or
so solid as well - which would make me lean away from hardware
faults...

Any suggestions as to what to change HT settings to - or if that's a
worthwhile avenue to go down?

Thanks again,
     ~Aaron