ipfilter 4.1.6 won't build on FreeBSD5.3 amd64

Goran Gajic ggajic at mail.sbb.co.yu
Tue Mar 8 20:18:03 GMT 2005

Actually I was interested if Dual Opteron with FBSD5.3
can compare with Cisco7206 with NPE-G1 running only for NAT
purpose of some 7000 hosts (and sadly more then ~80k pps can easly bring
it down and no one can comfirm that 7206 with NPE-G1 can actually
process 1M pps:). Ipfilter that is included in FreeBSD 5.3 is an old
3.4.35, I was not satisifed with its performance so I thoght that since
ipf 4.1.6 is newer and has some new features maybe it can better cope
with high NAT traffic. Unfortunately it won't  compile cleanly on
FBSD5.3-amd64 without supplied patch. I have compiled it with #define
LARGE_NAT but so far  I have tested it - only on few machines on local LAN
and it works fine and I'm sure I will try it on live network with high
traffic load  :)

Regards,
gg.