Possible problems with Broadcom BCM5704C 10/100/1000 onTyanThunder K8S pro S2882 twin Operteron

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Sat Mar 5 07:57:15 GMT 2005

dropping -stable crosspost.

This is on RELENG_5.

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Alan Jay wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago we reported a potential problem with the Broadcom
> BCM5704C 10/100/1000 onboard Ethernet (being used in Gigabit mode) controller
> on the Tyan Thunder pro S2882 with twin Operteron and 8Gb of RAM.

Alan,

Thanks for the update.

I have a S2881 in my clutches right now and its been working fine with
-CURRENT, although it only has 2GB RAM. It booted and ran 5.3-R fine when
I initially installed it. I have it running in a cvsup + -j16 buildworld
loop with the terminal over ssh.

Here's the relevant pciconf output:

bge0 at pci2:9:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x164414e4 chip=0x164814e4 rev=0x03
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
    device   = 'BCM5704 NetXtreme Dual Gigabit Adapter'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet
bge1 at pci2:9:1:  class=0x020000 card=0x164414e4 chip=0x164814e4 rev=0x03
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
    device   = 'BCM5704 NetXtreme Dual Gigabit Adapter'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

> We switched off the broadcom Ethernet controller (via software) and
> routed all traffic via the boards Intel 10/000 Ethernet connection.
> One of the problem databases has now been running for a few days and so
> far has been ok.
>
> We will be doing some more tests over the next few days but this seems
> to be pointing to some issues with the driver for the Broadcom Ethernet
> Chipset.

I believe scottl has some fixes to busdma that may be making their way
into RELENG_5 soon. I should probably migrate my machine back down to
RELENG_5 and check for any issues.