What kind of MotherBoard is better for FreeBsd and linux?

Martin Nilsson martin at gneto.com
Tue Jun 14 09:35:27 GMT 2005

David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:35:12AM +0400, Oleg Rusanov wrote:
>
>>What kind of MotherBoard for Amd64 OPteron 252 or 264 processors is
>>better for FreeBsd and linux?
>>
>>----------------Amd64 OPteron 264 MBs-------------
>>MSI
>> K8D Master3 (MS-9161)
>> 2.0  eATX  AMD-8131  Supports up to processor stepping: E6
>

> This board is nice in that it has 12 DIMM slots - so you can easily get
> 12gb or 24gb in a 2P machine.  Uses the AMD8100 chipset.

It is very picky with the memories on the CPU that have 8 slots. MSI
only supports 8 dimms on that CPU at 266MHz, 6*dimm at 333MHz.

I managed to get it to work at 400MHz with 6* Samsung handpicked dimms
(bga chips) but YMMV, so don't count on it!

MSI:s support is slow and terrible - you get what you pay for!
Also IPMI is not availabe on this board, making it not that useful as a
server in a remote location.
I'm testing the Supermicro OEM boards instead, I will post a status
report when I know more.

/Martin