[CPU temperature]

• • googl3meister at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 03:00:35 GMT 2005

On 6/2/05, tfagart at brozs.net <tfagart at brozs.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the information, but is there any other solutions for Stable
> release ?
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I had problems with cooling my AMD64/Socket 754/3200+ under 5.4. But
> > Athlon 64 support CoolNQuiet (PowerNow K8) which is implanted into
> > current as cpufreq - "device cpufreq" in kernel configuration and then
> > powerd_enable="YES" in rc.conf.
> > Without cpufreq I had about 60˚ with my quiet cooling, now I have 38˚,
> > because my desktop system don`t have heavy load.
> >
> > Tomas Randa
> >
> > tfagart at brozs.net wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>After having done my upgrade to 5.4Release I've noticed that the the CPU
> >>temperature of my box is 10 degré celsius higher than it was before with
> >>5.3R.
> >>I haven't changed anything in terms of number of running process, and
> >>nothing for me could explain this increase.
> >>
> >>Also I've done the same test with i386 release, and there's no such a
> >>behaviour.
> >>
> >>One of my friend is having the same type of issue with different hardware
> >>(but still AMD64).
> >>
> >>The tool I'm using to monitor tempertature is xmbmon-205_1 + Cacti
> >>Software
> >>
> >>FreeBSD www 5.4-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p1 #43: Fri May 20
> >> 16:17:04
> >>CEST 2005     root at www:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/TOM  amd64

I'm running 5.4-STABLE using an asus A8V (socket 939) with cool'nq
enabled in BIOS - CPU 28overnight - 38 deg C idle during day and jump
to 44 (eg: compiling jdk15/make -j4 buildworld) in a 25deg C
environment (a reasonably warm room to begin with).  I don't have
cpufreq device (using 5.4).  But I've not seen the temps you mention -
60 sounds hot to me.

--cheers
gm