swap sizing

Bruce Evans bde at zeta.org.au
Wed Jun 1 04:09:20 PDT 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 31 May 2005 at 13:35:38 +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:

>>> Sure.  And, apart from swap, what would that be?  Why not use it
>>> for swap while you're not dumping to it?
>>
>> Because if swap is configured than it might be used.
>
> Well, I said "use", not "configure".

If it is configured, then its use will be decided by the vm system.  I
think I know better than the vm system whether its use is useful on
my systems.  The vm system can only adjust for transient loads better
but I think I have enough memory for transients to not be a problem.
(I normally have hundreds of MB to spare and this gets used for disk
caching; transiently it is used for programs and the disk cache gets
depleted a bit.)

Bruce