Benchmarks: AMD64 vs i386 on Dual 246 Opteron

ray at redshift.com ray at redshift.com
Sat Jul 30 07:22:20 GMT 2005

At 03:47 PM 7/29/2005 -0600, Ken Gunderson wrote:
| On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:38:44 -0400
| Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org> wrote:
|
| > ray at redshift.com wrote on Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 02:32:34AM -0700:
| > > from 64
| > > |

| > > On the AMD64, I am pretty sure that I did *not* include the following
lines like
| > > I normally do on the i386:
| > >
| > > options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
| > > device          apic                    # I/O APIC
| >
| > I occurse to me that not using one of the two CPUs might have
| > something to do with a performance drop of approximately 50% :-)
|
| Not to beat a dead horse here, but for the record, the numbers I
| reported were definitely for a SMP kernel.
|
| --
| Best regards,
|
| Ken Gunderson

I'm going to have to repeat my benchmarks again on the AMD when our actual
machine shows up (I was testing on an evaluation machine that had to be sent
back).  I'll post the info again and this time will make absolutely sure the AMD
kernel is configured specifically with SMP - even though I seem to remember
adding that line, I can't be sure now because the machine is gone and I erased
the configuration.

Ray